LASER TREATMENT FOR “SECONDARY CATARACT”
The “secondary cataract” consists in the posterior opacification of the capsular sac that contains the artificial lens implanted during primary cataract surgery. Through an outpatient laser treatment, with the use of a particular laser (yag laser), the opaque tissue is vaporized allowing a visual improvement in a very short time.
LASER TREATMENT FOR THE CARE OF FLYING FLIES: THE VITREOLYSIS
At SEKAL Microsurgery Rovigo the vitreolysis treatment is performed for the treatment of myopia (“Flying flies”, “moving bodies” or “floaters”) through a specific laser generation of the latest generation. At a young age the vitreous, adherent to the retina, is perfectly transparent but over time due to aging it can change and lose its homogeneity. In the process of contraction it is detached and more fiber aggregates can be generated or less isolated. The floaters make mobile shadows on the retina which are particularly annoying for a patient, as moving bodies follow eye movements, these can often be very disturbing.
In certain cases it is possible to intervene through an outpatient treatment called vitreolysis, a non-invasive and painless procedure which takes about 15/20 minutes that can eliminate the visual symptom. By means of small laser pulses, the opacities are vaporized and the gas is reabsorbed thus reducing the size of the myopia. It is important to emphasize that it may take two to four sessions to achieve the result depending on the patient’s condition.
LASER TREATMENT FOR THE CARE OF MACULOPATHIES AND INJURIES RETINAL
The Argon Laser is a type of laser that emits a beam of concentrated light that produces small caustics inside the eye. It is used:
- to join altered or perforated areas of the retina;
- to destroy abnormal retinal tissues such as in diabetic retinopathy;
- to clean up the eye discharge structures, where a glaucoma malfunction can be created;
- If used on the eyelid skin, it is excellent for excising small lesions or abnormal eyelashes.
- At the SEKAL center, moreover, a special Argon laser is available that can carry Micro Pulsed laser treatments. This treatment is an innovative and a conservative solution for the treatment of edema macular or exudative macular pathologies. In this case the laser beam uses low-energy pulses separated by a short rest period. During the therapy with the micro pulsed laser, the doctor places laser pulses in the areas of the retinal edema in order to stimulate the retina to reabsorb the abnormal fluid and with the aim of preventing further loss of vision, but also an improvement in vision, where possible. This laser therapy can be repeated, if necessary without vision damage. Argon Laser treatments are performed on an outpatient basis through the instillation of anesthetic eye drops and are painless.